I'm 20 weeks pregnant today! Only 20ish more weeks until I get to meet Seth! I can't believe how fast this pregnancy is flying by! In other news, my Nubunz cloth diapers should be here today. I'll have to wash them once before we used them with cloth diaper safe detergent but then we'll be good to go! I figured out cloth diapering BOTH Rylie and Seth until they potty train will run me no more than 300-350 bucks. That's how much it costs in disposables for us in about 6 months for ONE child, it's crazy! I also found out that this:
Disposable diapers release volatile organic compounds, or VOC. This includes toluene, ethylbenzene, xylene and dipentene. These VOC's have shown to have toxic health effects on the baby, such as cancer, hormonal imbalances, or brain damage in some cases. There is even a possible link to asthma. There are many studies out on that. The main absorbent filler in disposable diapers is sodium polyacrylate. This chemical can cause respiratory problems, toxic shock syndrome, as well as skin problems. Almost all disposable diapers are bleached white with chlorine. They also have trace amounts of a highly carcinogen byproduct of chlorine bleaching called dioxin which is highly toxic. According to America's guidelines you're not supposed to just throw away poop in a disposable either. When it rains, the water in the landfill where ALL the hundreds of thousands of disposable diapers sit, runs into our waters and all the vaccines that our kids get, such as Polio, enter into our water ways and that's how the strains of the viruses keep coming back. ONE, only ONE, diapers sits in a landfill for 300 YEARS. That's a lot of disease and bacteria running into our water, YUCK!
I couldn't believe this when I read it! It pays to research right?! Anyway, we've decided for Seth we're going to do prefolds and fitteds with covers which will last until he's 9 months old. We're buying some pocket diapers for Rylie to use now and by the time Seth is 2-3 months old he'll fit them too. They're a one size fits all diaper, just like the Nubunz I ordered so it's pretty cool. We're getting some hemp doublers (awesome absorption power), Snappis to hold the prefolds together (SO easy!) and a wet bag to hold everything in. I'll need to buy some cloth diaper safe detergent (if you want any info on natural detergents that can be found in stores, let me know. Just because they say free and clear doesn't mean they are and they're better for your skin ;)) and a rack to hang some stuff of the diapers and covers on since it prolongs the life of the diapers. Anyway, I can hear my girls waking up now. Time to start mommy duty :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment